If you've clicked through to here you're obviously interested in the history of Brighton Soccer Club.
The recent history of the club has been all about growth. Currently we are the largest junior soccer club in Victoria, in terms of player numbers and teams on the park. The growth of BSC in recent times has been nothing short of astounding:
But Brighton Soccer Club has, of course, been around a lot longer than the last 15 seasons.
The club was founded in 1924 as Brighton Soccer Football Club, and initially entered a Men's team in the Fourth Division of the Metropolitan League. Training and home games were at Hurlingham Park. Promotion to the Third Division was achieved at the end of the club's second season, and by the third season, 1926, junior teams were being established. Fast forward to 1931 and the club is promoted to the First Division, and two years later, in 1933, wins the first of five Dockerty Cups (this was Victoria's premier Cup competition - the club's other wins followed in 1937, 1943, 1944 and 1952).
Meanwhile, in 1947, three players (Don Bingham, Alex Barr and Norm Good) are selected to play for Australia. In 1954 the club relocates to Elsternwick Park, and reaches another Dockerty Cup Final, this time losing to Hakoah. In 1958 the club's first team played in the VSF's new Premier League, and in 1959 relocated to its current home at Dendy Park. The club was stable throughout the 1960s in the VSF's Second Division, and celebrated its 50-year 'Golden Jubilee' in 1974 before beginning a gradual decline which resulted in relegation to the Fourth Division in 1984 and into the Provisional League in 1986. Around the same time, however, the club's juniors were progressing well, with a team in the National Youth League, finishing mid-table, to the surprise of many people.
With the Men's firsts continuing to struggle, a decision was made to merge with Prahran City in 1988. This was initially successful and gave the club a foothold back in the Second Division but financial problems resulted in the senior club's collapse in 1992. An influx of new blood provided a temporary solution but the club was forced to withdraw from competition mid-way through the 1995 season. Despite these problems, the juniors were still doing well and continued under separate management, and were incorporated as Brighton Junior Soccer Club in 1996, with 150 junior players.
Four years later, in 2000, the club had more than doubled in size, with 24 junior teams and 400 players. By 2004 the club had doubled in size again, with more than 800 players (including a huge increase in girls' participation), and had become Victoria's largest junior club. The club fielded a Women's Senior team in 2004, followed by Over-35 Masters in 2005 and a Men's team in 2006. To recognise the re-establishment of senior teams, the club formally changed its name back to Brighton Soccer Club at its 2005 AGM, although most of its activities continue to be directed towards junior development. The club caters for both elite players and social players, and generally has both Boys and Girls teams at all age levels and grades of FFV junior competition, as well as a thriving sub-junior environment which provides small-sided games for youngsters before they graduate to 11-a-side competition.
For those who are interested, click the link below for a document containing year by year history of Brighton Soccer Club, spanning 90 years!
Year by Year History of BSC